10 August 2007

overcoming the obstacles: human rights activists in guatemala and honduras part 2...

i am a human rights activist in central america, and i...

08:00

• drive to work rather than taking the bus or walking...i really like walking but have to take precautions to avoid being followed or being attacked...my own car has tinted windows, so no-one can see me...motorcycles and cars without number plates have followed me in the past, after i received death threats...

10:00

• have gone to a friend's house today to meet with indigenous women and interview them...i don't use my office anymore, as it's safer to keep changing locations regularly or work from home...it makes work difficult when I need an internet connection...

12:00

• have lunch in cafes that are small and where i know the people well...i still have to keep an eye on the door to see who comes in, no matter where I go...

14:00

• need to visit a community on the coast with a colleague...on long trips like these I arrange to change vehicles...this time i will change cars three times, to make sure nothing happens to us...

16:00

• start to make my way back home, changing cars along the way to avoid being followed again...i try to get home before dark, it makes it easier to keep safe, and my partner and children don't worry as much...

18:00

• am home, tired but happy because we moved things on...it was a good day's work...i do some more paperwork at home...as usual i'm the only one who picks up the phone or i let it go to the answering machine...i don't like my children and partner picking up the phone, as i've received death threats over the phone before...

listen to carlos albacete rosales, guatemalan activist, talk about threats and obstacles to his work

want to help these organizers and take action on their behalf???...stay tuned for part iii of this entry...

peace out <3

No comments: