17 April 2007

your front row seat for a free screening of blood diamond...

My dear dear friend,

I am writing to personally invite you to a free screening of the hit movie Blood Diamond on Wednesday evening March 25th at the Nashville Peace and Justice Center at 7:00 pm.

As you probably know I have been doing volunteer work with Amnesty International (AIUSA). I have been interested in human rights for some time and I have come to really appreciate the opportunities I have by working with AIUSA (Did you know that they won a Nobel Peace Prize in 1977?).



AIUSA is proud of its association with and support of the film Blood Diamond, starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Djimon Hounsou and Jennifer Connelly and directed by Edward Zwick. Hey, here's something I learned when I researched this movie:
Some diamonds have helped fund devastating civil wars in Africa, destroying the lives of millions. Conflict diamonds are those sold in order to fund armed conflict and civil war. Profits from the trade in conflict diamonds, worth billions of dollars, were used by warlords and rebels to buy arms during the devastating wars in Angola, the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Sierra Leone. Wars that have cost an estimated 3.7 million lives.

The movie is pretty amazing - set against the backdrop of the chaos and civil war that enveloped 1990s Sierra Leone. It is the story of a South African mercenary, and Soloma Vandy a Mende fisherman. Both men are African, but their histories and their circumstances are as different as any can be...until their fates become joined in a common quest to recover a rare pink diamond that can transform their lives.

After the movie we'll have an informal discussion on personal and corporate responsibility related to commercial diamonds and actions that one can take regarding the devastating effects of conflict diamonds.

I would take it as a personal favor if you would make plans to attend the screening my dear friend. Just drop me a line back and let me know - oh, and you don't have to come alone.

I hope to see you there!

Warmly,

The Tennessee Dude

No comments: