18 June 2007

how amnesty international works: from newbury with love...

marina aidova writes:

When I was a child in Moldova, I often felt like my parents and I were outsiders. We were under surveillance by the KGB, our apartment was regularly searched, our phone was bugged and my father was imprisoned in the Soviet Gulag for spreading so-called “anti-Soviet propaganda.”

One of the things that helped my family through this difficult time were the cards and letters of support we received from Harold Edwards, a retired English bookseller in Newbury. Harold began writing to us in response to an Amnesty International campaign that encouraged people to correspond with the families of Soviet political prisoners.

My family continued to exchange letters with Harold until his death in 1986. I have recently compiled the correspondence, which formed such an important part of my upbringing, into a book. And next Tuesday, I’ll be participating in an Amnesty online discussion to talk about the book and the impact that Harold’s letters made on my life.

I hope you’ll join me for an online discussion tomorrow, Tuesday, June 19, at 2 p.m. Eastern time.

Feel free to submit a question in advance.

I look forward to talking with you then.

Sincerely,

Marina Aidova

No comments: